She is Amazing: Jessica Yee

By Wendy |

Entrant: Peggy Cooke

Nominee: Jessica Yee, Founder and Director of Native Youth Sexual Health Network

Jessica YeeJessica Yee is the most active and inspiring young activist in Canada today, hands down. In addition to founding the Native Youth Sexual Health Network, she works tirelessly on behalf of women, youth and indigenous people in our country.

Jessica is a proud, self-identified indigenous feminist, and a strong warrior for reproductive rights. She tirelessly travels all over North America, educating young people on healthy relationships, campaigning for abortion rights, and advocating for better access to reproductive services.

Jessica is actively involved in many grassroots organizations and lives her beliefs every day. Personally she is down-to-earth, intelligent and warm. Everything she does serves to lift up and empower other young women in their struggles. She is a brilliant writer, and contributes regularly to widely read blogs like Feministing and Racialicious. She is never afraid to ask tough questions and to challenge herself and others.

Jessica Yee is amazing.

1. Amy says:

This is a pretty accurate descripton! Jessica is inspiring, and truly does ‘work tirelessly on behalf women, youth and indigenous people’. Tirelessly is actually an understatement. She may be the most active anything anywhere! ;o) Always a joy to see what she’s up to next.

2. Melanie says:

I couldn’t agree more with the words “Jessica Yee is the most active and inspiring young activist in Canada today”. She is inspiring to young and old.

3. Richard says:

I have a saying on my Facebook…that i try to live by…Jessica “is” totally living by this statement..

“When I stand before WaKonda at the end of my life,

I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left,

and could say ” I used everything you gave me.”

Ty Jess for being in my life…i am richer because of that!!!

4. Gloria says:

Jessica is a light, shining amongst the darkness of sexual health for Indigenous women and girls. I cried when my mother tried to talk to me about menstruation, and forever will I remain scarred not by this, but why it made me cry. The intersection between race and sexualy is so perverse, that a mother could not teach her own daughter about healthy sexuality. The most important thing any young girl could grow up with is a strong sexuality, to grow into a strong healthy woman, and it took me much trial and error(s) to get to this point where I feel I am in control (more or less). Thank you Jessica for being a voice of strength within an Indigenous woman voice, for women and girls to find their own sexual strength and demand more autonomy for their bodies.

5. Melanie G says:

Jessica is one of the most beautiful people I have ever met. I am proud to call her my friend.

Thanks for fighting the fight! I love you!!

6. Angela Marie says:

Since the first time I met Jessica I have been inspired to be better to do more… to be true and to be real… She has set the bar high and I am glad for that… there is a lot of work to do … Jessica has reminded me personally to continue seeking my sexual empowerment… as a former sex worker as an abuse survivor as a woman of colour…never mind all that… as a woman…I have internalized those disempowering messages… and the journey has been toward empowerment. Since meeting Jessica I have recommitted to my sexual empowerment and that has meant safe, fun, adventurous sexual connections… and there is no looking back… Yes Jessica is Awesome!

7. DJ says:

Jessica is the most amazing woman I know in my life and all the hard work for the people that she does is so amazing as well. I am very proud and honored to have the opportunity to be apart of each others lives. keep up the hard work and you know I always have your back no matter what. Love you DJ