When Antidepressants Leave Lasting Damage: Living with Post-SSRI/SNRI Sexual Dysfunction

close up of antidepressant pills
By Guest Contributor |

by Emily Grey

My clitoris is now no more than an inert and sensation-less nub of flesh. I am unable to feel attraction, arousal or orgasm.… The effects of losing my sexuality have been absolutely devastating to my relationships and mental health. I have been robbed of an essential aspect of my humanity.” – Emily, age 24, PSSD 2 years

Sexuality is an integral part of our lives, central to our identity, our quality of life, and the ways we connect with other human beings. So what happens to those of us whose sexuality is removed or severely diminished by a medication? What about when that eliminated or compromised sexuality does not recover, even after the medication is stopped? For people with long-term Post-SSRI/SNRI Sexual Dysfunction (PSSD), the impacts to our lives can be substantial.

SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and SNRIs (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors) are classes of psychoactive pharmaceuticals used to treat depression and other mental health conditions. They come under many names and are known for causing reduced libido during treatment for many people. SSRIs are better known for this side effect than SNRIs, but both can have an impact on sexual functioning. For many users of antidepressants, the sexual side-effects are the reason they eventually discontinue the drug, with or without medical supervision.

When we patients bring our concerns about sexual functioning while on antidepressants to our health care providers, we are almost universally told that our sexuality will return to normal after tapering off the drug. Unfortunately, recent data has emerged showing that this is not always true. Some people continue to experience sexual dysfunction for weeks, months, or years after stopping the medication. Sometimes, these symptoms emerge only after tapering off the medication.

For an unfortunate minority, a total elimination of sexual drive persists indefinitely. We may have severe or total loss of erotic sensation in our genitals, sometimes to the point of tactile numbness. We may be unable to experience attraction, arousal, or orgasm – for long periods and with no other discernible cause apart from treatment with antidepressants.

In addition to the loss of libido and sexual sensation (numbness of genitalia and other erogenous zones), my general sensitivity to the pleasure of touch has declined. A caress on bare skin registers as little more than pressure…. There is a feeling of numbness, as if there is some kind of barrier between my skin and the source of contact. — Ellen, age 48, PSSD for 14 years

Finally, some of us find our reduced sexual functioning is accompanied by emotional and cognitive symptoms such as “brain fog” or reduced emotional range, commonly referred to as “emotional blunting.” A common variant of this is the reduced or removed ability to experience emotions of romantic attachment.

The accompanying emotional blunting … has eliminated all romantic feeling from my heart and mind…. – Emily, age 24, PSSD 2 years

The prevalence of these symptoms among patients treated with SSRIs and SNRIs is unknown, as are the underlying causes, risk factors, and recovery rates. There is currently no known effective treatment.

For many years, the medical community was skeptical of the existence of PSSD. Patients were frequently told that our symptoms were a result of a mental health condition, despite the fact that we had never experienced such symptoms prior to antidepressant treatment.

When I brought some literature on PSSD to my former psychiatrist, she refused to even look at it, dismissing it—and my concerns—as “ridiculous.” I have also raised it with my current GP, but he’s not interested in hearing about it. – Ellen, age 48, PSSD for 14 years

That view is now shifting due to the dedicated work of researchers, whose documentation of PSSD cases led to the recognition of PSSD as an iatrogenic (meaning caused by medical treatment) condition by the European Medicines Agency. Though not yet recognised outside of Europe, doctors around the world are slowly becoming more aware of the risk of Post SSRI/SNRI Sexual Dysfunction. Health Canada put SSRIs and SNRIs under review for long-term sexual dysfunction in 2018 and the report is expected soon.

For those of us who do not regain our sexuality, or only partially regain it, the future is a long road of reaching acceptance and rebuilding our sense of self:

The trauma and grief and loss can’t be blocked down by a vision of miracle reversal. To be honest it’s more of a slow rebirth. Like dying and coming back to life as a new person entirely. – Kara, age 29, PSSD for 7 years

Patient activist groups are now springing up around the world to advocate for recognition and more research into the causes, rates, and potential treatments of this disorder. Our group – PSSD Canada – was established in May 2020 to advocate for PSSD sufferers in our home country of Canada and internationally. We are explicitly not anti-psychiatry or against the use of antidepressant medication, but we advocate for greater research, awareness, and transparency of the potential health risks so that patients can be better informed about using these drugs. We collect personal stories, academic sources, and professional statements of support at our website and invite others to be in touch with us  (pssdcanada@gmail.com) as we learn more about this condition.

Emily Grey is the co-coordinator of PSSD Canada.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. L says:

I have been suffering from it for 7 years. In my case some desire and pleasure of intimacy has survived, but all sexual excitement and pleasure from my genitals has disappeared, in particular the clitoris is as if it were no longer there and no longer gives any erogenous sensation. This is creepy and unfair. I hope that those who have the power and the duty to intervene will do so as soon as possible. Those who take this drug must be warned properly, and those who have already been harmed have the right to be treated. Finding the cure requires research, and research requires recognition of the problem and funding. It is not possible to harm people with treatments that should improve their lives and then abandon them. Thank you for this article. I wish the guys suffering from pssd would all commit to something like this or at least leave a simple comment. We can’t get anyone’s attention if we remain silent in the dark with our injuries.

• Sigh says:

I wish I knew. I loved my sexuality but now it’s gone and my vagina is completely desert dry. The dryness is causing other medical problems now. PSSD has changed my entire chemistry beyond sex drive. When I first went off, my speech was slurred and it took 2 years to get it back to normal. Everything was so off, the brain fog was unbearable so I ended up having to get back on a year later. There needs to be proper caution going on meds and proper rehabilitation going off meds. It’s an exploitation of vulnerable people. In my PSSD research, they give some prisoners SSRI’s specifically to kill their sex drive.

• Garrett S says:

Someone somewhere knew the risks and has manipulated and hidden the data in the name of prophet and career. We need to find those responsible and force them to be chemically castrated for the rest of our lives. People need to know, big pharma needs to know that if they fuck with people it will be brought home to bear on them.

2. L says:

I’ll add a few words for anyone arriving with pssd. Get in touch with the pssd community and help move things along. Go to Rxisk.org (fill in the adverse event report) and pssdforum.org, which are currently the main references for international community of pssd sufferers. If there is something you think has brought you improvement, share it, there are some really desperate people among us.

• Ben says:

I’m male, I’ve had PSSD for 8 years.
      Besides the sexual symptoms which includes complete loss of sexual desire (amongst other things), I’ve suffered severe cognitive impairment and emotional numbing.
      To say it has devastated my life would be an understatement.
      It’s shocking and ridiculous that the medical community doesn’t take this seriously and does nothing about it.
      Thank you for bringing awareness to this.

3. Shawn says:

I’m a male and I’ve had this condition for 10 years, since going on citalopram at 14. My life has been severely altered and I feel I’ve missed out on some of the most important years of my life.

Thank you for writing about this underreported condition here.

4. Winnie says:

Thank you so much for covering this. I have this condition and it’s so hard to function. It feels like my clitoris has been cut clean off. So traumatic. I hope this starts getting more mainstream attention soon. People may not even realize what’s causing it if they don’t know about the link to SSRIs. Especially women since our sexual health issues get dismissed as psychological so much.

• Dan says:

I am a 42 year old male and I have had these symptoms for 5 months. I have lost a great deal of sensation in my penis and my arousal and libido are significantly diminished.

As it has been 5 months, I do have hope for a natural recovery, but I also know that this might be permanent. It is scary and I didn’t ask for it.

A primary care physician, psychiatrist, and urologist all assured me this drug, sertraline, wouldn’t cause any long term effects and that those experienced on the drug would return after 2 weeks. They also acted bewildered when I brought up the persisting difficulties and even dismissed it as anxiety or depression related and offered more antidepressants as the solution!

Doctors everywhere must warn their patients of this disorder or only prescribe safer alternatives starting NOW.

• Dawn says:

My clitoris feels exactly the same…like it’s non existent…not even there anymore! Why is this not being talked about and why aren’t doctors telling us? It’s like a hush hush thing and the pharmaceuticals need to be held responsible. Even my inner vagina has places that are numb. Its not psychological! That’s like saying you cut your finger off and can’t feel it and someone telling you it’s all in your head.

5. E says:

I’m a 40 year old female from Australia. I took Luvox around 3 years ago now and the effects have been devastating to my current relationship and my mental health. I have approached a few GP’s here very hesitantly and have left bursting into tears feeling like I’m crazy and it’s all in my head and due to deep depression. The toll on my relationship has been so difficult. I took Luvox when my first born was about 8 months old as a suffered severely from post natal depression. After being on it for only a couple of weeks the complete lack of sexual desire and emotional numbness made me feel so ‘un-human’ it was worse than the depression itself. I’ve never felt so disconnected from the truth of who I am, so robotic and unable to authentically connect with others at a deep level, even with my daughter which has created immense guilt and sadness as a mother. Although I have retained physical sensation and the ability to orgasm none of that seems to matter due to my complete lack of interest or sexual desire. There is no passion, no feeling in my touch… even when I hug my partner it feels like going through the motions. I am left completely incapable of intimacy on any level. We have not kissed passionately since being on Luvox, merely a peck on the lips is all I can bring myself to do. I still find my partner attractive but don’t ‘feel’ attraction anymore. Emotionally I am exhausted, defeated and unable to see the light. I hope this condition can be taken seriously and every person offered these drugs is made aware of the risks.

Thank you for bringing awareness to PSSD.

6. hell on earth says:

Please be aware that the term pssd is misleading in a sense it only talks about ssri and snri (like your article too). I went into this trap and got the same life destroying condition from non ssri. I know many others that got the same destiny. It’s more rare but my advice is to avoid all psychiatric drugs as much as possible. They are all random acting and risky.

7. R says:

I was forced to take this drugs when I was just a minor and now I’m stripped away from my sexuality and emotions. PSSD is hell on earth. I’m planning to get assisted suicide soon, I’m living in hell and too traumatized about what the mental health system did to me 🙁 I’ve never got to experience my sexuality before it was stripped away from me because of a med I didn’t wanted to take

• Amanda A says:

Health care provider here and ashamed to say this is this first I’ve ever heard this. Thank you. My heart and fury go out to all of you whose providers have told you that your experience is imaginary.

• A. says:

Hi,
      Suicide isn’t the answer. Theres more to live for than sex ! Try to find things you’re passionated about , to connect deeper to God .

• Stanley Tolle says:

It’s not just sex. Like sexual dysfunction is noticed first. Like if your are a guy it is noticeable if something is not popping up eager to please like it use to. This however appears to be just the tip (or non-tip) of the problem. What I notice is all the things I did for pleasure just stop being of interest. Skiing, Mountain biking, dancing, hiking, fishing and all sorts of other activities just don’t happen any more. I have gained weight and tire much easier now. This other stuff was not as noticeable at first but as all my toys and equipment gathers dust it becomes clear to me that something has really gone wrong with the sense of pleasure and motivation. Can’t find Dr.s willing to work on the problem “.

8. Kk88 says:

11 years for me. This impacts the quality of my life every day, and it’s not just my sex drive – my drive and spark for every other element of my life went with it too.

The worst part is trying to discuss this with drs and being shut down and having SSRI’s pushed as ‘completely safe’ – I’m certain they have permenantly changed my brains neurology – I feel like a 70 year old woman at 33.

9. Y says:

This information needs to be more publicly available. It’s very upsetting that more people will be put on these meds without proper informed consent until Health Canada makes some changes.

• A says:

I was put on psych medication as a minor- 12-18- for a diagnosis that ended up being incorrect. My puberty and sexual development was stunted as well, and because of my psychiatric history I am just gaslighted by medical professionals, and unable to find a lawyer willing to take my case.

10. Gus says:

Before my depression, I had no problem with arousal or pleasure. During my depression, prior to SSRIs, I had no problem with arousal or pleasure. Almost immediately after treatment with a popular SSRI, everything changed for the worse. Nothing worked properly. How utterly frustrating. Now I find out, through my own research on the Internet, that others have also been damaged in the same manner. If you weren’t depressed and suicidal before your SSRIs, the prospect of these damages being permanent, are devastating. I can’t imagine having this happen to someone in their teens, or 20s or 30s. This is completely unacceptable. A class action lawsuit is merited. The possibility of permanent damage was never communicated by the numerous psychiatrists who treated me. These risks are not documented on the product monograph of any of the medications that I took.

• Celia says:

Yes I agree I am now going on 2 years of literary losing my entire sexual identity intimacy of any kind has become so foreign to me . I hate this and I feel as though when I was prescribed this ssri the relabeling laws had changed it was 2019 and I SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOLD. The research I conducted concluded that a study in rats found that when a drug called buspar , an 5 htp-1 antagonist was used during ssri treatment it prevented pssd from occurring and was in some cases shown to reverse pssd symptoms . Now important to note this is a study in rats anyway I am livid I have an appointment in the next week with the provider who originally provided me this ssri when I specifically told them I was not depressed that I was experiencing anxiety . The provider swore this ssri would treat that. I was on the medication for 3-4 months and lost complete feeling in my vagina . I am so grateful for this forum and all others addressing this, to know I’m not alone helps but we all need to take action this is unfair and downright negligent to not inform people of this horrific side effect . I am asking my provider to prescribe me buspar in the hopes that it may reverse this side effect . The reason for genital numbness is that ssri’s block sodium channels changing nerve conduction essentially . I will report back as soon as I am on the medication for some time to let you all know if it is successful. It is unlikely but worth a shot . Thank u all for your honesty and vulnerability remember your not the only one … we need to do something about this they can’t get away with this .

• A says:

I’m on buspar and my sex drive increased, i have a history of pssd. I saw a similar comment on webmd about buspar helping with sex drive/sexual dysnfunction. I think its worth a shot. I hope it helps you

11. Haylee says:

Thank you for posting this. I was so in the dark about PSSD until recently. I thought it was just me.
    I had a baby 9 months ago and I thought that was the reasoning behind everything I’ve been experiencing. I was told it was normal to feel “nothing” or not wanting to have sex after undergoing a C-section. Something that used to be enjoyable was soon turned to something like a chore.
    I recently went through a break up, with lack of intimacy being a big reason why.

12. Gus Miller says:

Aren’t anti-depressants (ADs) wonderful? My sister was depressed for years, but never contemplated suicide or took anti-depressants. After a few weeks on sertraline, she attempted suicide. She immediately came off sertraline, and is doing better. I too suffer from depression. ADs didn’t help my depression, and, they not only left me with PSSD, after being off of them for over a year, I believe my emotional and my cognitive abilities have been negatively impacted. PSSD only exacerbates one’s depressive state, and for that reason alone, they should be used sparingly. The risk of PSSD was never discussed by any of my numerous psychiatrists when they provided me with my various SSRI and SNRI prescriptions. That is not acceptable.

13. Mark says:

This has happened to me as well I am devastated I was given lexipro and do believe resperadone wasn’t good ether I was so lost I didn’t even think about it until I tried to masterbate since I didn’t have privacy for the first couple months and barely any for four after that I can achieve an erection but it takes work to accomplish and orgasms are weak..I am just now realizing I might not get myself back

• Mark says:

Even google searching Lexapro I didn’t see may cause sexual dysfunction as a side effect .. only if you google search the drug with emphasis on sexual side effects does it show it

• Chris M. says:

I just took my first dose as prescribed (10mg. generic Lexipro), not for depression but for anxiety (which to me isnt really such a big deal). But after reading thru yours, and others comments I’m kinda thinkin’ I should stay away from this medication. Have you done much looking into this, do you think MOST people should be REALLY concerned? Thank you for your time.

14. B says:

Was prescribed sertraline (50mg per day) in June 2020. It completely reduced my mood swings, anxiety and irritability, however I lost all sensation in my clitoris and it took me 6 months to realise it was due to the medication.
    Currently in the process of tapering off the medication and I’m down to 12.5mg per day – thankfully some arousal and stimulation began to return once I was down to 25mg per day but unsure if it will fully return.
    For me a calm state of mind cannot be at the sacrifice of all other feelings.

15. Greg says:

Wow this finally gives me an understanding – my wife has been on SSRIs for many years and has had increasing doses over the years… she started about a year before we met and about 2 years before married… then about 5 years into our marriage she started not being as interested. She would comment she missed the feeling and missed it but would never be interested or would decline if I initiated. It went from once or twice a month to a few times a year then in 2015 it all stopped. The last few years she has been increasingly more like she wants to be on more and more meds to keep from the fog. I have taken over managing her meds because a few times she took more than prescribed. I ended up having to go out of town for a few days and her pills were locked in my safe, so she was off of everything for a few days and she was back to her old self mentally but not sexually. I hope they can find a treatment.

16. Julian says:

In 2006 what I remember is that I was told I have severe depression with anxiety and was prescribed with escitlopram with the psychiatrist telling me the drug has fewer side effects. After taking the drug for few days I complained for slowing down mental alertness and sexual dysfunction but my doctor assured me it will soon go away when I will stop the drug. After 3 months, the side effects became severe,. I am starting to get disorganized, more suicidal, and so uncomfortable that I can no longer endure,. I tapered it off, and boom, the severe brain fog, severe general sensation numbness, severe memory issues, feeling emotionally detouched and I approached another psychiatrist and this time they diagnosed me with depression with psychosis but the side effects were more worse with the drugs prescribed, and later I was diagnosed with bipolar and prescribed with prozac and lamictal,. The psychiatrist said my complain is just part of psychosis. Oh God my ears are ringing,. As if something is shaking inside,. So I had to completely stop them all. The side effects had been 20 times worse than my depression. And the side effects of severe brain fog, general sensation numbness, lack of sexual pleasure persisted, emotional numbness,. And a roller coaster of intense suicidal symptoms, severe dryness and severe sensitivities to food supplements persisted yet when I complained to the psychiatrist I last visited, he just scolded me and said that it will take more weeks for the drug to have therapeutic effect. It was very unfair. I never had these symptoms of severe dryness, intense suicidal, general numbness, disorganized emotions, brain fog and severe memory issues, and sensitivities to food supplements even vitamin c prior to my taking of these drugs. They just told me the lack of emotions and sexual pleasure is just part of depression. I could not have pleasure with sex. I never deserved this
    The side effects had persisted for 15 years now. My other symptoms had improved much with the help of a functional medicine doctor. But still the drug had stolen my normal being. It has been 15 years of struggle. The psychiatrist had poisoned me. And yet today they refuse to recognize what they have done. It has been traumatizing… I hope there will be no other victims to these poisons… There must me other ways to better treat mental health problems.

17. Julian says:

Anti depressants are being prescribed without even a laboratory test to determine if indeed the patient need those particular drugs. You trapped my life.

18. Kyle says:

I’m a 34 year old male and have PSSD for about 8 years now. I was forced antidepressants, and I psychotics, and mood stabilizers when I was 13 years old because of a misdiagnosis. I was on just about every antidepressant until I was 26, was weaned off all psych meds at that time and won’t even touch Tylenol anymore. During my time on meds I completely lost all sexual functioning, have the numbness, all the symptoms described by others. I noticed minimal improvement about 2 years off of the medications, then in about 2016 a little bit more but it sort of plateaued in the last 2 years have been zero libido. I contemplated suicide for years but pretty much adapted and accepted. I have been off of the forums and blogs for years because I realized it became an obsession and did more harm than good. I’m still hopeful but something triggered me yesterday and got back on the blogs. Looks like this is actually being acknowledged as a thing but I still feel devastated as some people seem to indefinitely have this problem. I’m still hopeful because I do see that some people recover spontaneously even 10 years down the line.

I too have been gaslighted by the medical community for years about this, said it was depression, impossible, made to feel like I was crazy and a hypochondriac. I went through stages of grief over this years ago, I contemplated suicide, I went through denial, despair, rage, anguish. I guess I’m reaching out for resources. I’ve never been able to connect with anyone else who has his problem or understands how devastating it can be. I also wondered if it’s possible to still have a complete or near complete recovery after 10 years. It did seem to get better for a while and then stopped and got worse. I have an extremely healthy lifestyle, I body build and eat organic. I’m still hopeful but I don’t know if I’m hanging on to a fantasy anymore. I believe the body is a miraculous thing and is capable of healing from anything and sometimes wonder if I continue to manifest these symptoms with my belief that this is permanent.

19. Jennifer Snyder says:

Thank you for your work. I was placed on an ssri for mild, situational depression, and now experience pssd. My psychiatrist assured me these drugs were safe and that they would address my sadness involving a death in the family. The effect on my sex life was immediate. I can no longer have an orgasm and my genitalia are numb. I weaned myself off the ssri 6 months ago because of sexual side effects. I do not experience depression at this time, but my libido is almost completely erased, after years of an active and satisfying sex life with my husband. These ssri drugs are handed out like hard candy often for the mildest cases of depression or anxiety, without any warning about its potential side effects. I cannot believe I let myself fall for this. It’s affected my relationship with my husband and now I see it may be permanent.

20. Paul says:

I’ve been on antidepressants since 1998. Since 2002 there’s been a slight decrease in my libido. In 2014 I saw a urology specialist at the hospital because of blood in semen which only happened once. It was discovered I have a varoscele but nothing that should effect my sex drive. Around that time I noticed a more rapid decline in sexual sensitivity. Recently I’ve had some mild genital pain which is more frequent. It ranges from pressure feeling or dull ache in the testicles to spasms in the penis. I seen a specialist again who could find nothing wrong. He felt my stomach and done a examination of the genitals. He said I had a small varoscele and suggested I should try talk therapy. I was never told by doctors that antidepressants could cause permanent nerve or brain damage. I thought that the sexual disfunction was a temporary effect. Why hasn’t the media exposed this huge scandal. What makes this worst for me at the age of 55yrs old with Asperger is I’ve never had sex. When my parents are no longer around I will commit suicide.

21. Kenyala says:

I have ocd and was on high doses of antidepressants from 9-18 years old and I ve been off them for 6ish months like I never really had a real crush like I get crushes like really big ones but their kid crushes I don’t want anything more then holding hands like I do want more but I just can’t get myself to want more and it makes me feel weird and messed up and I think this might have something to do w it maybe now idk

22. JRLA says:

I’m extremely angry and also a little thankful. At least I didn’t lose anything. I have no positive feeling in my vagina – pain is common with penetration(even using lube).
    Never have had. Seems I’ve had this pssd for over 20 years without knowing it. I was starting to think I must be asexual. I started zoloft at age 9, in 1989. Continued for eleven years 400mg daily.
    Sex is the biggest problem in my marriage as I never want it and he always wants it. Tried pelvic floor physical therapy, managed to make it less painful, but still not good.
    I’ve only ever had zero libido.
    I’m thankful I have clitoral feeling.
    Next, we plan to try sex therapy.
    Fingers crossed.

23. Josie says:

I took sertraline for about 2 years to combat severe depression and stopped taking it about 3 years ago now. My sex drive has completely vanished and I can’t seem to do anything to reawaken it. I’m desperately worried for the long term effect on my relationship and feel robbed of an important part of my life. I had no warning of the damage these drugs can do and would never have taken them had I known. I also now suffer with brain fog which affects my professional life and my confidence. These drugs leave lasting damage that impair lives.

24. Jason B. says:

Eleven years ago my mother was on her deathbed and my girlfriend dumped me, so needless to say I was in a bad spot emotionally, particularly anxiety wise. My doctor suggested Pristiq, and with the carefree ease he prescribed it, I never even thought about potential long term side effects, and he certainly didn’t offer up any. Up until that point I had a voracious sex drive, hobbies, and the ability to concentrate. I took the first dose on a Monday morning, and by the afternoon I felt major brain fog, and my groin was partially numb. I persisted for a few days as the doc did mention some potential for side-effects when starting, but by Thursday I could barely think straight and my groin area was now entirely “dead meat”, which obviously freaked me out. My doctor told me to stop taking them, and thankfully by about a week later, I could mostly feel my groin again. However a number of other changes and side-effects remained.
    Flash forward to today, over a decade later, and I feel like I have been permanently altered by this drug. After a lifetime of no evident mental or physical health issues, it’s been a merry go round of endless problems ever since I took that first dose of Poison. First of I lost all interest in any form of romantic relationship, let alone sex. When I used to look at a beautiful woman, there was a physiological response– and I don’t specifically mean “arousal”- but that warm fuzzy *mental* excitement. Now I feel nothing. When I look at a beautiful woman now it’s like looking at a beautiful piece of art– I can appreciate its beauty but there’s nothing emotional or physically there. I lost interest in hobbies and hanging with friends, as there was no more joy to be derived from these interactions. I have enough money saved that I could pretty much do or buy whatever I wanted, yet I cannot think of a single thing I could want to do or buy that would make me happy. All anticipation, excitement, and drive is gone. Each day simply feels like going through the elementary motions of life to burn time until the next day, only to repeat infinitely until whenever my life ends. In addition to the anhodenia and total lack of sex drive, I developed horrible insomnia and something akin to ADD where I have difficulty focusing on anything.
    I’ve tried all sorts of meds (except other SSRI’s which I won’t touch) and supplements over the years and nothing has worked except Wellbutrin, which was a miracle cure for about a month. It was like I was 100% restored within 24 hrs of the first pill– I called my doctor crying saying we had found the miracle cure. Sadly, after three weeks of what felt like reclaiming my life, the drug simply stopped working entirely. If someone were able to repeat that event, but for a few years rather than three weeks, I would happily give up my life savings in exchange. People simply can’t comprehend what it’s like to have your sexuality and pleasure center stripped away– it’s like your entire reason for waking up each day is gone, and you’re just trapped in some grey apathetic world where you stand watching life pass you by.
    These drugs should not be presribable by a GP, and should only be prescribed in cases of life threatening depression. To hoist it on people who are just going through a spot in life, like ones parents dying, is simply criminal.

• T says:

Same story here, now going on for 22 years
      Id be happy to feel normal for just one day a year.
      something to look forward to.